Communications Faculty Guide to the Library: Home
I am the librarian for the School of Communications. I work with you to:
- choose materials for the University Libraries to support the School
- develop and revise curriculum, achieve accreditation/re-accreditation, and engage in strategic planning
- teach sessions on library-based research in your courses or provide resources via Blackboard, and consult with students individually or in groups
- keep you informed about issues pertaining to scholarly publishing, copyright, plagiarism, and library developments
- consult about your research or creative scholarship
- resolve issues with Course Reserve and Document Delivery (a.k.a. interlibrary loan)
- have your scholarship celebrated at the annual Author Recognition reception
In 2013, 51% of Social Sciences & Humanities articles are published by journals that belong to 5 commercial publishers: Elsevier, Taylor & Francis, Wiley-Blackwell, Springer, & Sage; their papers obtain a lower impact. These companies increase their subscription rates annually & have profit margins ranging from 25-40%. GVSU pays faculty salaries while we research, and then has to buy back our research through journal subscriptions. Consider open-access models instead. We provide funds!
240 Mary Idema Pew Library, Grand Valley State University, Allendale, MI 49401, U.S.A.
Office hours: M-F 9:00-5:00; or by appt