Wikipedia: Who Creates Wikipedia?
Who Can Contribute?
Anyone with web access can edit and create articles on Wikipedia. This open-editing environment has inspired thousands of people of diverse backgrounds to contribute to the site. Editors collaborate with each other to create civil, neutral articles.
How to Edit
Wikipedia uses a simple, intuitive layout to keep the focus on the information, not the design.
The page layout has the following tabs at the top of the window:
- Article: Shows the Wikipedia article.
- Discussion: Shows user's discussion about the article.
- Edit: Where the user can actually edit the article.
- View History: Shows who has changed the article and what changes were made.
- Star: Causes changes in the article to be added to the watchlist.
Guidelines and policies for content:
- What Wikipedia is NotWhat should or shouldn't be on Wikipedia
- Neutral Point of ViewWriting should be neutral and unbiased
- No Original ResearchNo personal views or original research, just recognized knowledge
- VerifiabilityContent should be checked against external, reliable sources
- Reliable SourcesWhat sources are reliable and acceptable
- Citing SourcesHow to cite sources
- Manual of StyleGeneral writing style guide
- Last Updated: Oct 14, 2021 2:53 PM
- URL: https://libguides.gvsu.edu/usingWikipedia