STA 340 - Statistics in the Media (Bergakker): Home
Course Description: An examination of how statistics are reported in the media. Students will be asked to read news stories and published research to critically evaluate the conclusions made, recognizing when assertions are and are not supported by evidence. Common fallacies and misconceptions will be covered.
Research Project: Students will be given instruction on database searches, students will be asked to find journal articles and a corresponding news story relevant to their major. Students will then critique it both in terms of their field and what they have learned in class.
Cast a wide net
- Google Scholar This link opens in a new windowA subset of Google's index of the web that is limited to more academic or scholarly publications.
Focus on your major
- GV database list, A-ZYou can limit by subject (major) or by content format (articles, videos, newspapers, etc.).
- Subject GuidesLook for a Subject Guide in your major (and find out who your Liaison Librarian is, too!)
A word about statistics in the media ...
Buckler, Craig. Why Your Website Statistics Are Wrong, Part 3. SitePoint. 15 January 2010. https://www.sitepoint.com/website-statistics-reports-wrong-3/
Research news in the media
These are just a few links to sources of current news. The contents in many of these will include explicit references and even links to the originally published scholarly research.
- Google NewsAfter starting a Google search, click on 'News' under the search box to limit to current news items.
- Hidden Brain"A conversation about life's unseen patterns" -- podcasts and transcripts
- IFLScience!"The lighter side of science. We're here for the science - the funny side of science. Quotes, jokes, memes and more. We're dedicated to bringing the amazing world of science to you!"
- New York TimesNewspaper/site
- Science Daily"Your source for the latest research news" - health, physical/tech, environment, society/education, and "quirky"!
- USA TodayNewspaper/site
Your Librarian is ...
- Last Updated: Sep 30, 2021 11:48 AM
- URL: https://libguides.gvsu.edu/STA340