WRT 150: Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
Starting points to find background information on a topic
In addition to the online databases below, the library also has a variety of reference books at each library location (Frey, Steelcase, or the Mary Idema Pew). Reference books are things like encyclopedias, dictionaries, and style manuals. You might also find atlases, statistics, or directories. In the Mary Idema Pew library, all the reference books are located on the 1st floor of the library. At Steelcase Library, these books are located in the large reading room.
- Credo Reference This link opens in a new windowDictionaries and encyclopedias about many topics combined into one searchable database.
- Gale Ebooks This link opens in a new windowA database of encyclopedias and reference sources within the Gale eBooks platform. For multidisciplinary research.
- Pop Culture Universe This link opens in a new windowProvides information on American and world popular culture, past and present without the bias, advertising, suggestive content, or questionable authorship of commercial or fan sites.
- Oxford English Dictionary (OED) This link opens in a new windowWord definitions from historical to current, in context of sentences/phrases.
- Oxford Reference Online This link opens in a new windowBrings together language and subject reference works from one of the world's biggest reference publishers into a single cross-searchable resource
- Explore Census DataLearn about America’s People, Places, and Economy: includes population, housing, geographic, and economic data. Build tables or maps.
- Statistical Abstracts of the United States (2013-present)These books are available in the reference sections of the Mary Idema Pew Library, Steelcase Library, and Frey Library.
- Last Updated: Mar 28, 2023 7:56 AM
- URL: https://libguides.gvsu.edu/writing150