CAP 413: Media Planning: SRDS/Claritas Help
- Knowledge Center = detailed descriptions of how to get data and produce reports
- Segment explanations (descriptions of target audience or market groups)
- Read the explanations of formulas and calculations; consumer and segment composition, penetration, and distribution; customer profiles, ranking, target measures; and a glossary of terms
- SRDS is the only resource which uses DMA (Designated Marketing Area) as a geographic unit
Claritas/Kantar Media/SRDS/Nielsen does offer a toll free phone number for technical support (800) 866-6511. If you contact them, please explain that you are a student at GVSU.
How to use SRDS Kantar Media for media planning
Nielsen draws maps of geographic areas it calls DMAs, “designated market areas,” based on its demographic data of program ratings (tv viewership). They market media information & contact data, along with demographics & segmentation, based on these areas.
On the far right, "Market Maps & Data" include DMA profiles & maps.
Categories & Markets compiled from Nielsen, SQAD, and Simmons data:
- Hispanic Media
- Direct Marketing
How to use SRDS Claritas 360 Reports
Works with Google Chrome only (two most recent versions)
- Nielsen is the company that developed the systems, PRIZM is a segmentation systems provided by Claritas (company name), and Kantar Media provides the software platform.
- Data comes from Claritas' PRIZM, P$YCLE, ConneXions:
- PRIZM – defines consumer segments (groups) by socioeconomic ranks (e.g., Upper Crust = wealthy)
- P$YCLE – focuses on consumer spending behaviors (e.g., Bargain Lovers)
- ConneXions – emphasizes how people use media & behave regarding technology (e.g., Cyber Sophisticates)
- Click "Login to Claritas 360" - Opens a new window
- Choose a report: Standard or Segmentation.
- Standard: Demographic: Pop-Facts, trend, age/race/sex, income/age, buying income, senior life, consumer concentration
- Segmentation: Market Overview (Segmentation), Profiler (Profile Ranking Index, PRIZM Premier, Claritas Profiles, Claritas Consumer Profiles, choose category, choose specific category, Analysis area - DMA, submit), Lifestyler (Target segment, Claritas target, choose one, choose more specific, submit; or Target potential, make choices, submit), Locator (Target concentration, Claritas target groups, make choices, submit)