Juvenile Literature: Awards/Themes
Lists of Award-Winning Books at GVSU
These links below have the Awards, Titles, Authors and GVSU Call numbers. Some non-award winning books titles may be listed due to the search limitations.
- Aesop Prize for Excellence in Poetry for ChildrenAwarded annually, since 1992, by the Children's Folklore Section of the American Folklore Society.
- Americas Award for Children and Young Adult LiteratureRecognizes U.S. works of fiction, poetry, folklore, or selected non-fiction (from picture books to works for young adults) published in the previous year in English or Spanish.
- (Mildred L.) Batchelder AwardAward given to an American publisher for a children's book considered to be the most outstanding of those originally published in a foreign language in a foreign country, and translated into English and published in the United States.
- BolognaRaggazzi AwardThis initiative rewards the best books in terms of graphic and editorial design.
- Boston Globe-Horn Book AwardPrestigious honor for children's and young adult literature in three categories: Picture Book, Fiction and Poetry, and Nonfiction.
- Burt Awards for African LiteratureRecognizes excellence in young adult fiction from Africa
- Caldecott MedalAwarded annually by the ALSC to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
- Carnegie and Greenaway Awards"...the UK's oldest and most prestigious children's book awards. Often described by authors and illustrators as 'the one they want to win' - they are the gold standard in children's literature."
- Charlotte Zolotow AwardBest picture book text published in the United States in the preceding year
- Children's Africana Book AwardsAward given to encourage the publication and use of accurate, balanced children's books on Africa.
- Children's Choice AwardsThe only national book award program where the winners are selected by kids and teens of all ages.
- Eisner Award - NewsaramaEisner Award graphic novels and comic book winners and nominees by year.
- Ezra Jack Keats AwardsPresent awards to a new writer and a new illustrator each year.
- Golden Kite AwardPresented to member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators by their peers.
- Hans Christian Andersen AwardsAward given to a living author and illustrator whose complete works have made a lasting contribution to children's literature.
- Jane Addams Children's Book AwardsAnnual awards that effectively promote the cause of peace, social justice, world community, and the equality of the sexes and all races.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder MedalPresented to an author or illustrator whose books, published in the United States, that made a substantial and lasting contribution to literature for children, over a period of years.
- Margaret A Edwards Award for Outstanding Literature for Young AdultsHonors an author, as well as a specific body of his or her work.
- Michigan Reads!The Michigan Reads seeks to highlight the importance of reading and sharing books with children, especially during the critical development ages of 0-5.
- National Book Award for Young Peoples LiteratureThe National Book Awards Young Peoples Literature Award began in 1996.
- NCTE Award for Excellence in Poetry for ChildrenAward honors a living American poet for his or her aggregate work for children ages 3–13.
- Newbery MedalAnnual award by the ALSC to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
- NSK Neustadt Prize for Children's LiteratureAnnual award encourages the improvement of writing for children by honoring an accomplished contemporary writer of children's literature.
- Orbis Pictus Nonfiction AwardAnnual award promoting and recognizing excellence in the writing of nonfiction for children.
- Phoenix Award- Children's Literature AssociationGiven to the author, or the estate of the author, of a book for children published originally in English that did not win a major award at the time of its publication twenty years earlier.
- Pura Belpre AwardHonors a Latino/Latina writer and illustrator whose works best portray, affirm, and celebrate the Latino cultural experience.
- Robert F. Sibert Informational Book MedalAwarded annually to the author of the most distinguished informational book published in English.
- Schneider Family Book AwardsAnnually awards an author or illustrator for a book that embodies an artistic expression of the disability experience for child and adolescent audiences.
- Tomas Rivera Mexican American Children's Book AwardHonors authors and illustrators who create literature that depicts the Mexican American experience.
- USBBY and CBC Outstanding International BooksAn honor list of international books for young people.
- YALSA Booklists & Book AwardsComplete list of Young Adult Literature awards and best book lists selected by the Young Adult Library Services Association.
- Books about Children with DisabilitiesBooks about children with physical, mental, and emotional disabilities. Sorted by reading level.
- ExceptionalitiesBooks on mental and physical handicaps, illnesses, gifted and talented, death, grieving, and more.
- LGBTQ Picture BooksPicture books for children about the experience of knowing or having an LGBTQ parent, family member, or friend, as well as books for gender nonconforming kids.
- Interracial AdoptionChildren’s, middle grade, and young adult books that feature transracial adoption in some way.
- Michigan Children's AuthorsBooks that are in print, take place in Michigan, and are about notable Michigan topics.
- YALSA's Best of the BestExceptional YA books, listed by year.
- Last Updated: Nov 1, 2022 9:52 AM
- URL: https://libguides.gvsu.edu/juvlit