Nursing - undergraduate: Legal Resources & Ethics
Citing Laws in APA Style
NUR 416 SWS Tutorial
Finding legal resources for nursing
In addition to searching CINAHL and PubMed for ethical aspects of your topic, try these resources:
- Books in the GVSU libraries on nursing and law.
- From the search box on the library's homepage, try searching for legal issues health care and limit your results to books.
- Michigan Compiled Laws. Search by popular name or keyword. The most frequently requested laws (includes age of majority, power of attorney for medical directives, etc.).
- Another resource: the online Nurse Practitioner Scope of Practice Laws (http://www.bartonassociates.com/nurse-practitioners/nurse-practitioner-scope-of-practice-laws/). Sources for this include the Nurse Practitioner Annual Legislative Survey, published every January.
- The American Nursing Association has a webpage on state laws and regulations.
- The National Survey of State Laws provides an overview of some of the most asked for and controversial legal topics in the U.S. It features summaries of each state's law in a table format and contains references to the statute or code section covering that law so that one can find the original text. The most recent edition was published in 2008. Available in print and located at the Steelcase Library.