Nursing - undergraduate: Legal Resources & Ethics
NUR 416 SWS Tutorial
- NUR 416 Ethical/Legal Scenario TutorialHow to find resources for the SWS scenarios; includes advanced CINAHL features and a link to specific suggestions for each scenario!
Finding legal resources for nursing
In addition to searching CINAHL and PubMed for ethical aspects of your topic, try these resources:
- Books in the GVSU libraries on nursing and law.
- From the search box on the library's homepage, try searching for legal issues health care and limit your results to books.
- Michigan Compiled Laws. Search by popular name or keyword. The most frequently requested laws (includes age of majority, power of attorney for medical directives, etc.).
- Another resource: the online Nurse Practitioner Scope of Practice Laws (http://www.bartonassociates.com/nurse-practitioners/nurse-practitioner-scope-of-practice-laws/). Sources for this include the Nurse Practitioner Annual Legislative Survey, published every January.
- The American Nursing Association has a webpage on state laws and regulations.
- The National Survey of State Laws provides an overview of some of the most asked for and controversial legal topics in the U.S. It features summaries of each state's law in a table format and contains references to the statute or code section covering that law so that one can find the original text. The most recent edition was published in 2008. Available in print and located at the Steelcase Library.
- Legal Source This link opens in a new windowA scholarly resource of current issues, studies, and trends of the legal world. For attorneys, educators, business people, law librarians, students, and paralegals.
- Westlaw This link opens in a new windowCovers state and federal case law and statutes and regulations, the Code of Federal Regulations, Federal Register, American Jurisprudence 2nd, American Law Reports and law reviews. Consider searching American Law Reports as a starting point -- access it by clicking on secondary sources from the Westlaw homepage, then selecting American Law Reports on the following page.
Health Care Legal Resources
- Health Care Decision-Making For a Resident In a Nursing HomePolicy Statement of the Michigan State Long Term Care Ombudsman Program.
- Health Care Decision MakingThe American Bar Association's Commission on Law and Aging website has a number of resources relevant to health care practitioners and consumers.
- Michigan Laws Related to Right of a Minor to Obtain Health Care without Consent or Knowledge of ParentsSummarizes the rights of minors to consent to various types of health care without the consent or knowledge of their parents.
- Planning for Your Peace of Mind: A Guide to Medical and Legal DecisionsPrepared by the Michigan Legislature, this "fill in the blanks" document provides answers to frequently asked questions, general information and forms on Michigan's Statutory Will, Patient Advocate law and organ donation.
- Last Updated: May 12, 2023 12:42 PM
- URL: https://libguides.gvsu.edu/nursing