Content Style Guide: Acronyms and Abbreviations
Use acronyms and abbreviations only when necessary.
- Avoid if possible.
- First occurrence should spell it out with the acronym following it in parenthesis.
- Additional occurrences should use the abbreviation tag (<abbr>) if possible.
- In LibGuides, toggle to the "Source" view in your editor. (If in the CMS, contact me for help.)
- Find the acronym in the HTML.
- Add an opening abbreviation tag before it, with a title attribute that spells out the full name.
- Add a closing </abbr> tag at the end of the acronym
<abbr title="Grand Valley State University">GVSU</abbr>