Government Documents: USGS Publications
USGS Publication Warehouse
- USGS Publications WarehouseThis it the USGS's database of their publications. There are lists of the most recent and most popular publications, collections of publications, and basic and advanced search options. There are full text versions of many of their publications available online, with more added all the time.
If you find a report you want to look at but there isn't a free download, check GeoRef or the catalog. If you still can't find it, contact a librarian for assistance!
- GeoRef This link opens in a new windowProduced by the American Geological Institute, GeoRef "contains over 2.2 million references to geoscience journal articles, books, maps, conference papers, reports and theses." Covers 1785 to present for North America and 1933 to present for international. Updated 24 times/year.
Please note that because this is a subscription database it is available only to GVSU students, faculty, and staff.
The USGS is putting more and more publications online. If the report you're looking for is available online, there should be a link in the "Resource Location" field.
Unfortunately, not all of the publications are available online, and many of the USGS reports GVSU owns are not included in the catalog. In order to find the print version of the report you want, you will need to know:
1) The name of the report series (Professional Papers, Bulletins, Open-File Reports, etc.)
2) The report number (available in GeoRef near the bottom of the full record)
First, find the call number of the report series (a few of the most popular series are listed below). Then, add the report number to the call number after the colon.
Example: "Modeling Cape- and Ridge-Associated Marine Sand Deposits; A Focus on the U.S. Atlantic Continental Shelf" is a Bulletin with the report number B 2209-M
The call number should be I 19.3: B 2209-M
Note: Not every series is listed here. If you can't find the series you're looking for, or are having trouble finding what you need, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the library to ask for help.
- Last Updated: Mar 20, 2023 2:19 PM
- URL: https://libguides.gvsu.edu/govdoc