Political Science: PLS 325 - Tafel
Think Tanks and International Organization Information
- Amnesty InternationalAmnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who take injustice personally. We are campaigning for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all.
- Balkan InsightBalkan Insight is a website run by journalists in southeast Europe part of the Balkan Investigative Reporting Network. The website focuses on news, analysis, commentary and investigative reporting from southeast Europe.
- Carnegie Endowment for International PeaceWe are more than 150 thinkers and doers from diverse disciplines and perspectives spread across more than twenty countries and six global centers working together as one network to advance international peace.
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Europe ProgramThe Carnegie Europe Program provides insight and analysis on political developments within Europe, transatlantic relations, and Europe’s global role.
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Russia and Eurasia ProgramThe Carnegie Endowment for International Peace has led the field in providing real-world analysis and practical policy recommendation focusing on political developments, foreign policy, arms control and nonproliferation, and economic and social issues.
- Center for European Policy AnalysisThe Center for European Policy Analysis is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan public policy research institute dedicated to the study of Central and Eastern Europe.
- Center for Strategic and International StudiesThe Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a bipartisan, nonprofit policy research organization dedicated to advancing practical ideas to address the world’s greatest challenges.
- Council of EuropeThe Council of Europe is a human rights organization founded in the wake of World War II. It has 46 member states committed to to uphold human rights, democracy and the rule of law in Europe.
- Council on Foreign RelationsThe Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is an independent, nonpartisan membership organization, think tank, and publisher dedicated to being a resource for its members, government officials, business executives, journalists, educators and students, civic and religious leaders, and other interested citizens in order to help them better understand the world and the foreign policy choices facing the United States and other countries. Founded in 1921, CFR takes no institutional positions on matters of policy. Our goal is to start a conversation in this country about the need for Americans to better understand the world.
- Council on Foreign Relations Europe and EurasiaThe Council on Foreign Relations is a nonprofit nonpartisan American think tank based in New York City that specializes in U.S. foreign policy and international relations.
- Election ResourcesIn this space you will find links to Internet sites around the world which provide complete and detailed national and local election statistics, as well as other election resources.
- Fragile States IndexThe Fragile States Index (FSI) produced by The Fund for Peace (FFP), is a critical tool in highlighting not only the normal pressures that all states experience, but also in identifying when those pressures are outweighing a states’ capacity to manage those pressures. By highlighting pertinent vulnerabilities which contribute to the risk of state fragility, the Index — and the social science framework and the data analysis tools upon which it is built — makes political risk assessment and early warning of conflict accessible to policy-makers and the public at large.
- Freedom HouseFreedom House is founded on the core conviction that freedom flourishes in democratic nations where governments are accountable to their people; the rule of law prevails; and freedoms of expression, association, and belief, as well as respect for the rights of women, minority communities, and historically marginalized groups, are guaranteed.
- Heritage Foundation Index of Economic FreedomPromoting Economic Opportunity, Individual Empowerment & Prosperity
For twenty-seven years, the Index of Economic Freedom has measured the impact of liberty and free markets around the globe, and the 2021 Index confirms the formidable positive relationship between economic freedom and progress.
- Human Rights WatchHuman Rights Watch investigates and reports on abuses happening in all corners of the world. We are roughly 450 people of 70-plus nationalities who are country experts, lawyers, journalists, and others who work to protect the most at risk, from vulnerable minorities and civilians in wartime, to refugees and children in need
- The Jamestown FoundationThe Jamestown Foundation is a defense policy think tank focusing on Eurasia, China, and global terrorism.
- The Kennan InstituteThe Kennan Institute is the oldest and largest regional program at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. The Kennan Institute is committed to improving American understanding of Russia, Ukraine, Central Asia, the Caucasus, and the surrounding region though research and exchange.
- The Observatory of Economic ComplexityThe Observatory of Economic Complexity (OEC) is an online data visualization and distribution platform focused on the geography and dynamics of economic activities.
- Political Terror ScaleThe Political Terror Scale (PTS) project was started by Michael Stohl and several graduate students at Purdue University in the early 1980s, essentially as a way of empirically testing whether U.S. foreign aid was being sent to countries that violated international human rights standards, thereby being in violation of federal law. The five level coding scheme employed by the PTS was taken directly from the 1980 Freedom House Yearbook and it has been used ever since.
- Political Violence at a GlancePolitical Violence @ A Glance is an award-winning online magazine directed by Erica Chenoweth, Christian Davenport, Barbara Walter, and Joe Young, that answers questions on the causes and consequences of violence and protest in the world’s conflict zones. Analysis comes from distinguished experts who are doing the most rigorous, most interesting, and most policy relevant research.
- Transparency InternationalTransparency International is a global movement working in over 100 countries to end the injustice of corruption.
- Transparency International Corruption Perceptions IndexThe annual Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) ranks countries and territories by their perceived levels of public sector corruption, according to experts and business people.
- United States Institute of PeaceThe United States Institute of Peace is a national, nonpartisan, independent institute, founded by Congress and dedicated to the proposition that a world without violent conflict is possible, practical and essential for U.S. and global security. In conflict zones abroad, the Institute works with local partners to prevent, mitigate, and resolve violent conflict. To reduce future crises and the need for costly interventions, USIP works with governments and civil societies to build local capacities to manage conflict peacefully. The Institute pursues its mission by linking research, policy, training, analysis and direct action to support those who are working to build a more peaceful, inclusive world.
- Varieties of Democracy ProjectVarieties of Democracy (V-Dem) is a new approach to conceptualizing and measuring democracy. We provide a multidimensional and disaggregated dataset that reflects the complexity of the concept of democracy as a system of rule that goes beyond the simple presence of elections. The V-Dem project distinguishes between five high-level principles of democracy: electoral, liberal, participatory, deliberative, and egalitarian, and collects data to measure these principles.
- World Bank Worldwide Governance IndicatorsThe Worldwide Governance Indicators (WGI) project reports aggregate and individual governance indicators for over 200 countries and territories over the period 1996–2019
If you find an article that looks good to you online and you are asked to pay for that article, make sure you check the library first! You can try putting the title into the search bar on the webpage to access it that way. If you're on Google Scholar, try clicking the "Get it at GVSU" link. If you still can't find it, click on the "Ask a Question" button on any library webpage or email me by clicking on the button under my face on the right side of this page!
- Last Updated: Feb 6, 2023 12:13 PM
- URL: https://libguides.gvsu.edu/pls