Library Resources for Public, Nonprofit and Health Administration: Databases & Grant Resources
GVSU Library Databases
- Academic Search Ultimate This link opens in a new windowAcademic Search Ultimate is a giant database that covers more than 10,021 journals, and full text for nearly 9,017 peer-reviewed titles. It is a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary resource of scholarly research.
- Business Source Ultimate This link opens in a new windowComprehensive information on all aspects of business related topics and 55 videos from the Harvard Business School Faculty Seminar Series. The database features company SWOT analyses and market research reports. Country reports are included in this database. This version of the resource is hosted on a specially designed interface for this content.
- GrantSelect This link opens in a new windowGrantSelect is an extensive online grants database that contains more than 16,000 funding opportunities provided by more than 5,100 unique sponsoring organizations.
- Public Administration Abstracts This link opens in a new windowProvides abstracts for the field of Public Administration, including research and theory. Records are selected from many of the leading periodicals in the discipline, including Public Administration Review, Public Administration Quarterly, and International Journal of Public Administration.
- ProQuest Business DatabasesLarge collection of journals with articles on a variety of administration and business topics.
- SpringerLink This link opens in a new windowSpringerLink allows Grand Valley users full-text access to over 1,500 journals in subjects including science, technology, humanities and law. Search the SpringerLink database or within subject collections or by publication type (which includes journal articles, reference entries, and books).
- Web of Science This link opens in a new windowWeb of Science is a multidisciplinary resource that allows you to search multiple databases at once, including: Web of Science (Core Collection), Current Contents Connect, BIOSIS Previews, MEDLINE, and Journal Citation Reports. Find journal articles, books, conference proceedings, reports, and tables of contents.
Databases allow you to look for articles. Databases usually have a citation (information about an article such as the title, author, name of the journal or magazine the article appeared in, volume and issue, date, and pages) and sometimes they will also contain an abstract, or summary, of the article.
Some databases will also have the articles themselves (called the full text of the article). When that happens, you should see a link to an HTML or PDF document. If you do not see a link, click on "Get it at GVSU" - this will check the other library databases for the full text of the article.
Resources for grants, databases, and general information
Look here for philanthropy and nonprofit databases, grant sources, as well as resources helpful for writing grant proposals.
- CDC NPIN - Funding SearchThe Funding Database is used to locate private and government funding opportunities for community-based and HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis, STD, and TB service organizations. Included are details about eligibility requirements, application processes, and deadlines
- Council of Michigan FoundationsThis list of community foundations includes current directors or contact persons.
- Grant AdvisorGrantAdvisor is a web service that facilitates open dialogue between nonprofits and grantmakers by collecting authentic, real-time reviews and comments on grantseekers’ experiences working with funders to encourage more productive philanthropy.
- GuideStarSearch for nonprofit org. info. including 990s
- GVSU Grants Administration Grant Reference Library MaterialsResources available in the Grants Administration office for GVSU faculty.
- Michigan Grant ResourcesCompiled by Michigan State University libraries, a list of Michigan based grant makers.
- Philanthropy News DigestA publication of the Foundation Center, this archives news stories about nonprofits.
- PRO: Philanthropy Resources OnlinePRO is a digital library of primary and secondary sources that supports teaching and learning about philanthropy and the nonprofit sector.
- Social Science Research CouncilThe Social Science Research Council is an independent, nonprofit international organization founded in 1923. It nurtures new generations of social scientists, fosters innovative research, and mobilizes necessary knowledge on important public issues.
- FDO Quick StartFDO Quick Start provides free, public access to essential information about over 100,000 foundations and over 250,000 IRS Forms 990-PF.
- Using Data to Support Grant Applications and Other Funding OpportunitiesProduced by the Community Research Institute, this document presents the sections of a grant that need to be backed up by data, details where to find that data, and pulls it all together by explaining the difference between ineffective and effective uses.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy: Facts and FiguresData from original Chronicle of Philanthropy surveys on giving, foundations, and executive salaries, including our ranking of charities in our annual Philanthropy 400 report, in easy-to-search databases.
- Community Data and Research Lab (CDRL)The Community Data and Research Lab (CDRL) gathers, analyzes, interprets, and shares national and local data.
- National Center for Charitable StatisticsThe National Center for Charitable Statistics is the national clearinghouse of data on the nonprofit sector in the United States. NCCS is a program of the Center on Nonprofits and Philanthropy (CNP) at the Urban Institute.
- MI School DataMI School Data is the Web presence for district users, the public, researchers, etc., to
access and review Michigan education data.
Where to conduct research
- Catalog of Nonprofit Literature This link opens in a new windowPrimarily citations and abstracts with some full-text materials, including scholarly and non-scholarly articles and books relating to philanthropy, foundations, and the nonprofit sector. Topics range from charitable giving, statistics, theory, international and domestic philanthropy, and nonprofit administration. There is also information on policy, law and tax regulations as they relate to these fields.
- ERI Economic Research InstituteSearch for info about nonprofits, including links to 990 forms. Also provides compensation, benefits, and human resource research for private and public organizations.
- FOLIO (Foundation Literature Online)This is an online digital repository of foundation-sponsored research reports and publications covering the full scope of philanthropic activity.
- IssueLabAccess to thousands of case studies, evaluations, white papers, and issue briefs addressing some of the world's most pressing social problems.
- Last Updated: Feb 6, 2023 12:13 PM
- URL: https://libguides.gvsu.edu/pna