- GVSU Scholarly Communications program supports GVSU faculty and students with author rights, publishing, and copyright
- Geo-Data: The World Geographical EncyclopediaA geography reference book (a source useful for the basics of a topic, definitions, and specialized terms)
- Geographic Names Information SystemThe Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) is the official repository of domestic geographic names data, the official vehicle for geographic names use by all departments of the Federal Government, and the source for applying geographic names to Federal electronic and printed products.
- Getty Thesaurus of Geography Names OnlineThis thesaurus is global in scope but not comprehensive, focusing on places relevant to art, architecture, and related disciplines. Included are place names, rich relationships, place types, dates, notes, and coordinates for historical and current cities, nations, empires, archaeological sites, lost settlements, and physical features.
Starting Your Research
Wondering where to start your research? Here are a couple places to start. For more options, check the specialized tabs at the top of this guide.
- Academic Search Ultimate This link opens in a new windowAcademic Search Ultimate is a giant database that covers more than 10,021 journals, and full text for nearly 9,017 peer-reviewed titles. It is a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary resource of scholarly research.
- AGRICOLA This link opens in a new windowThe National Library of Agriculture database that searches for articles and books in all areas of agriculture, forestry and animal science. 1970-present.
- GeoRef This link opens in a new windowCreated by the American Geological Institute, GeoRef has over 3 million references to books, journal articles, reports, theses, maps, and more. Materials cover North America from 1669 to the present, and the rest of the world from 1933 to the present.
- GreenFILE This link opens in a new windowGreenFILE searches for information in all areas related to the human impact on the environment. Some examples of topics covered: global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy and recycling. Information available includes articles, government information, books, and book reviews.
- JSTOR This link opens in a new windowJSTOR provides the searchable full text of the backfiles of many of the core research and academic society published journals in almost all subject areas, but its emphasis is in the humanities and social sciences. The majority of JSTOR's content is academic and peer-reviewed.
GVSU Libraries use the Library of Congress Classification system as part of the organization of our physical collection. Bellow are related classification guides to reference for physical browsing of the stacks in the libraries.
- Last Updated: Mar 1, 2023 11:26 AM
- URL: https://libguides.gvsu.edu/geography