Materials for Engineers: Biomaterials
Locating Sources on Biomaterials
Biomaterials cover a broad group of materials used for biological applications, including biomedical engineering. A major concern is biocompatibility, ensuring that the materials are compatible with a living organism. Biomaterials include ceramics, minerals, and polymers. Sources related to biomaterials may be located in any of the pages in this guide but when they are classified under biomaterials or related topics, that indicates a special focus.
In the GVSU Libraries catalog, relevant subjects include:
- Biomedical Materials
- Biomimetic Materials
- Biocompatibility - also as a subheading, e.g. Metals--Biocompatibility
- Applications, e.g. Dental Materials
- Materials in Medicine, e.g. Ceramics in Medicine or Polymers in Medicine
Articles and Index Databases
Relevant materials are also available in the broader index and abstract databases listed on the Articles & Databases page as well as in the Biomedical Engineering Subject Guide.
- PubMed This link opens in a new windowFrom the NIH NLM, premier index for the medical literature. Relevant articles are tagged by various terms under the MeSH heading of Biomedical and Dental Materials. Search results enable hyperlinking to other NIH databases, such as PubChem, which contain information on materials.
- MeSH Headings for Biomedical and Dental MaterialsUse the MeSH tree structure to identify subject headings for relevant biomaterials, then apply them to searches in PubMed (see above).
- European Cells & Materials (ECM)From the Swiss Society for Biomaterials and the Tissue and Cell Engineering Society.
Handbooks And Other References
- ASTM Standards, e.g. Medical Device Standards, Implant Standards, etc.Relevant standards are retrieved by searching on the general term "biomaterials" or more specific materials. NOTE: GVSU does not presently own a current set of ASTM Standards; please contact the Engineering Librarian to have individual standards purchased for your use.
- Last Updated: May 3, 2023 3:12 PM
- URL: https://libguides.gvsu.edu/egrmaterials