CAP 115: Research Basics for Advertising and PR: Target Audience Analysis
Demographics, Psychographics, Market Segmentation
Demographics: statistical data for a group of people, often defined by age or generation, education, gender, health, occupation & income, race, living situation, and often used to identify target audiences.
Psychographics: relates consumer lifestyles (attitudes, beliefs, loyalty, preference, public opinion) to behavior (activities, spending habits or expenditures, usage) by analyzing demographics.
Market segmentation: how you connect demographics and psychographics to create a strategy for identifying, defining, & dividing target market into sets or segments of consumers, businesses, or geographic areas with common interests, needs, & priorities for your clients. Provides data to support the marketing plan objectives (e.g., databases below and Who's Buying series, American Generations series, and other New Strategist series). WARC has useful definitions of segmenting or segmentation (click "Most Read") along with best practices.
What are, why use, and how to create consumer profiles, created by Curtis Newbold, the Visual Communication Guy, 2018
Demographics--GVSU, Grand Rapids, & West Michigan
- Claritas ZIP Code Look-uplifestyle types + neighborhood's top 5 segments, & a descriptive snapshot about each segment's characteristics
- GR DataMaps, budget, demographics, safety, transportation.
- Rapid Growth MediaSee Places tab for quick statistics about neighborhoods in the Grand Rapids area
- VoiceKent byCounty-wide survey about residents’ views and experiences related to health and well-being, discrimination and inclusion, and overall quality of life in Kent County, Michigan.
Demographics: U.S. & MI
- Data Planet This link opens in a new windowBrowse by Subject,
- EASI Analytics – EASI Market Planner – latest year: Demographics
- Health & Vital Statistics
- Labor & Employment
- Population & Income
- Prices & Cost of Living, etc.
Psychographics or Segmentation
- Data Planet This link opens in a new windowGo to Source, EASI Analytic Software – EASI Market Planner – latest year:
- Consumer Behavior – Mediamark
- Consumer Spending Analytics
- Demographics – EASI Profiles
- Life Stages
- Media Use – Mediamark
- Retail Sales
See See Data-Planet Help tab.
- SRDS Media Planning Platform This link opens in a new windowClaritas SMS (Segmentation & Market Solutions) is the only resource which uses DMA (Designated Marketing Area) as a geographic unit. Click Login to Claritas SMS. Create Content: Reports: Pop-Facts (demographics) or Segmentation. See SRDS Help tab.
- Statista This link opens in a new windowAll kinds of data on consumption and media usage: more than 50 industries, 5,000 brands, and various topics.
E.g., find "Behavior changes in response to COVID-19 worldwide, by generation" or "Communication platform usage by brand" for the U.S., or a 2021 Brand Report on FaceTime in the U.S. - it includes usage, demographics, users' lifestyle, & marketing touchpoints.
- Statista Overview6-minute video tutorial by the GVSU Libraries
- WARC (World Advertising Research Center) This link opens in a new windowdemographics (scroll to bottom, click Sitemap (under About): Topics: WARC Index: Consumers & audiences; Research methods & tools; Latest: Best Practice; or Rankings: Media 100
- Consumer behavior 2019-2020 byDemographics, activities, shopping channels & behaviors, brand preference, ethnicity, gender, segmentation.
- Last Updated: Feb 20, 2023 8:42 AM
- URL: https://libguides.gvsu.edu/cap115