CAP 115: Research Basics for Advertising and PR: Industry / Market Share & Company info
Market Share/Rankings & Industry Statistics/Trends
Market research includes information about industry, product, brand, consumers, geography, etc., and competitors.
- Market Share ReporterMarket share of companies via Gale Directory: choose Market Share Reporter before searching. Search for a category like "soft drinks," a product like "coke," or a company like "Coca-Cola."
- WARC (World Advertising Research Center) This link opens in a new windowIncludes market intelligence and best practices
- MINTEL Academic This link opens in a new windowSearch for a category like "soft drinks" to see reports on products, markets, market share, companies, trends, etc.
- Plunkett Research Online This link opens in a new windowIndustry statistics, trends, & in-depth analysis of top companies.
- Statista This link opens in a new windowIncludes industry, retail market, internet, media, and technology statistics; industry and outlook reports, surveys and market studies; specific consumer markets; digital markets, and infographics.
- Winmo (was Advertising Red Books)Lists advertisers (companies, competitors, brands, industry codes, key contacts, media spend, sales, ad agencies, news) & agencies (media focus, target markets, key contacts, clients, social media, news).
- NAICS codesNorth American industry classification system = standard codes used by federal statistical agencies to analyze companies and industries.
- SIC codes4-digit standard codes used by federal statistical agencies to analyze companies and industries; precede NAICS codes.
Company Financial Info
Company financial profiles are a quick way to get background on a company, what they do, & their current situation.
Google a company's website and look for "about us" or "investors" for annual reports and info for shareholders.
- Mergent Online This link opens in a new windowFull company details, annual reports, 15 years of financials, company history, long term debt, SEC filings, country reports. Private Companies: use Private Company Search tab.
- Business Source Ultimate This link opens in a new windowResources include: articles, campaigns, case studies, company profiles & financial data, industry reports, market research reports, SWOT analyses, & trade magazines.
Search IRI Inc. as a Company Entity to find data from them.
SWOT / TOWS
SWOT or TOWS = Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats. Analyzing these qualities provides a good overview of a company's current & future prospects.
By analyzing the external environment (threats & opportunities), & your company internal environment (weaknesses & strengths), you can think about the strategies of your organization, department, team, your skills & experience, a process, or a marketing campaign.
If you can't find a SWOT analysis for your company, look at a competitor or an industry analysis: the factors are often similar for companies in the same industry.
- Business Source Ultimate This link opens in a new windowSearch a company name, then choose SWOT Analysis on the left menu bar.
- Last Updated: Feb 20, 2023 8:42 AM
- URL: https://libguides.gvsu.edu/cap115